If your planning on getting married in the Bahamas then you need to ensure that you have the necessary documents that would allow you to have your wedding in the Bahamas.
So here is a wedding in the Bahamas document checklist for you.
1. You Need A Passport
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which became effective October 1, 2007, requires that all U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States must have a passport in order to re-enter the country.
So the first thing you would need to do is get a passport if you do not already have one.
And if you have a passport then you need to check that it has been renewed as you are required to renew your passport every ten years.
Once your passport is in order then you are able to not only travel but use it as an official form of identification as your passport would have most of the relevant information about you including a photography, finger print, age, gender, status and nationality.
2. Documents that prove You Qualify To Be Married In The Bahamas
Only persons of the opposite sex who are
- at least age 18,
- single (never been married),
- divorced or
can be legally married in the Bahamas.
So you must be able to prove your status in order to get a marriage license in the Bahamas
- If you are single then you must declare you singleness in an affidavit of single-hood before a person authorized to administer oaths like a notary public or justice of the peace.
- If you are divorced then you must provide the original final decree, or a certified copy of your divorce.
- And if you are widowed then you must provide the original death certificate, or a certified copy.
Getting married in the Bahamas is really simple.
All you need is a passport and documents to prove your marital status and you can have your wedding in the Bahamas.